Friday morning Tony rolls over in bed and asks, "what do you want to do today?"
I respond, "do you want to go down to the Keys?"
Tony says "sure" and we pack Curtis up and get on the road.
It was a gorgeous day and right when we were heading out of Key Largo to the next key a storm front was rolling in. We saw it as we were crossing over the bridge but never saw one drop of ran as we continued south.
This is how the locales like drinking their coconut milk. You see coconuts with straws sticking out of them all over the place down here. A homeless man down where we live sells these to the tourists but he hacks the top off with a machetti, its a little scary.
We had a wonderful day in the sun walking the streets of Key West taking in all the sights, sounds and smells of the place. Upon returning to Miami Beach at 11pm we came home to mass flooding. Apparently the skies opened up and had been pouring all day and the streets, sidewalks...pretty much all surfaces were flooded. Cars were pulled over with their hazards on all over and I was starting to get a little nervous. We were a block away from our condo's front gate and Tony thought he should give it a try to get through the door high standing water. We were following a taxi cab and a few feet into the water our car swallowed the taxis wake, the water came up over the hood and killed our car. I could have killed Tony, we were stuck in pouring down ran in the middle of a lake sitting in our car that just died. So we kicked off our shoes rolled up our pant legs and pushed our car onto a side walk out of the way of the road at least. (Thankfully we weren't the only ones doing this, their were people out pushing cars all over the streets trying to get their cars out of the roads.) We threw a towel over Curtis and started wading through the water towards our front gate. The picture above is of me standing in the shallowest part of the water that we encountered that night. It was quite the adventure, one for the books:)
5 comments:
The progression of looks from the first shot, where you guys look blissfully happy going on a little adventure to the look at the end of the day of "Tony! I told you!" cracked me up!!
Love you guys, can't wait to have some adventures of our own when I'm down there! LO
I can't imagine Thanksgiving without all those Oregon "holidayish" things, including family. But it looks like you and Tony are definitely the types that make limeade out of limes. Speaking of which...Love the Keys! What an amazing way to spend the day. And you give me so much hope that you can still be spontaneous with a little kid. And what a cute one too. Way to go.
Tiff, I love the look on your face in the photo of you in the ankle deep water. Eric and I had a good laugh after reading about your flood adventure. Miss you guys!!! Give the little Tom a smooch from us!
Wow! That is quite the family adventure! I want to know who stopped to take a picture in al the madness...I am guessing Tony?
:-) You are gonna have fun making a scrapbook!
I am all about a great memory- even if the experience wasn't so pleasant at the time. As I always tell Mark..."will make a great sermon illustration!" sounds like you got one! =)
Post a Comment